Our philosophy, as Year 1 teachers, is to:
- build on the children’s previous knowledge, skills and experiences in Reception (EYFS);
- nurture children’s curiosity, excitement and motivate them through the environment and first hand experiences, enabling them to explore and develop questioning, language, communication and social skills;
- teach all children to master and apply the basic skills of phonics, reading, writing and mathematics, supporting and developing a love of learning.
We understand that each child is unique and our role is to enable all children to be emotionally resilient, developing a ‘can do’ attitude – understanding that they can learn from failure and that perseverance and determination results in progress and success.
We value and promote partnership with parents and the community to provide the best opportunities for every child.
- Visitor to share experiences and knowledge of Africa.
- Trip to the South Park linked to science and Geography.